Our homes reflect our personalities and tastes. Some times, however, we get forget how to express ourselves within our decor. We receive hand-me-down furniture that is not our taste. Or we find something less than wonderful at a thrift store and make it work for the moment. Of course, these methods add character to our homes but not the kind that reflects our personalities.
How To Add Character To Your Home
It is said the little things matter. I think this is true in our relationships and our environment. In our homes, the little things make a difference. Adding to a table top brightens the room. Cozy throws on the couch invite a visitor to sit and snuggle. Deliciously scented candles are relaxing. Each of these things helps to add character and warmth to your home.
More opportunities to add character:
– Art work. Select art work that reflects your tastes. They need not be masterpieces! Display art that you love to look at. I love a variety of art. My living room hosts classics with modern. It is all about what you like.
– Decorative pillows. Another opportunity to invite your guests to get comfy on the couch while adding personality. Add at least one interesting and unexpected pillow to the mix. Here are some examples of something that may add character to your space.
– Accessories. I love adding bits and pieces of decorative accessories around my space. I have some of my kids sculptures, old cameras, vases, and interesting items that I find. Each one of these is placed around the room for interest; not clutter. I don’t display huge collections, though that is certainly an option. I prefer to have unique pieces displayed for my guests and myself to enjoy.
– Seating. Don’t forget to add interesting seating. Found a great ottomon at the thrift shop but the fabric is awful? Consider having it reupholstered. Change the fabric and paint the frame to reflect your tastes and character.
– Flowers and plants. I love flowers in my home. Adding a living element adds warmth to the room. Fresh flowers, terrariums, or plants of some kind add vibrance. Check out these great succulent ideas for your home.
This weekend I am going to create some beautiful succulent plantings for my living room. With my favorite decorative pillow and art work, my living room will reflect character and personality.
Check out my latest product, artistic decorative pillows. These pillows feature my original photographs and graphics with quotes from inspiring women. My daughter encouraged me to use quotes about “girl-power” and “strong ladies”. I am so glad I took her advice!